Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Marinara Pasta Sauce ~ page 23


Here is a funny story for you....I blogged about this recipe exactly a year ago. Well, in a couple weeks it will be a year to be exact. Check out the date on my freezer bag below! I was almost 9 months pregnant waiting for a baby anyday. I'll blame pregnancy hormones on the mis-spelling of Marinara on the bag! I remember blogging about this recipe, telling all of you that I was stocking my freezer for the arrival of Baby Sylvia. Of course at the time we didn't know if I was having a boy or girl. Anyway, baby came and life went on...and on...and on..until just yesterday while I was digging in my freezer with a 11 month old pulling up on my legs, and I came across this bag below! I chuckled to myself as I remembered thinking a year ago, "this will come in handy for dinner with a newborn in the house"

So, anyway, I thawed that bag out and made me some dinner. Guess what? It was delicious! Before this experience if you had asked me how long the marinara would have lasted in the freezer, I would have told you to try to eat it within 6 months. But here we are a year later and it was better than I even remembered. I did let it simmer all afternoon, so it got super thick and rich. (I added ground turkey to mine) Oh, a new trick I learned is to add a little cream to the sauce as it is simmering, it makes the meat tender and adds a nice richness. So go see what you have hiding in your freezer! --Carissa

No comments: