Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Party Quesadillas ~ page 134

Do you sometimes make a recipe you haven't made in a very long time, then when it turns out so delicious and easy you wonder, "Why did I wait so long to make these again?" Although it does seem like these quesadillas could be everyday fare, I really do only make them for summer parties outside. Maybe that is because I first ate them at my nephew's daughter's first birthday party, packed out with lots of family. My nephew cooked these on the outdoor grill. They were so wonderful, I got the recipe from him. Really though, it is not so much a recipe as simply a list of ingredients and a method.
 To make the chicken quesadilla mixture, add whatever amount of cooked chicken hunks (rotisserie chicken works well) and some black olives into the food processor and give it a whirl to coarsely chop everything.
Now add either red or green canned enchilada sauce--just enough to hold everything together. After another quick whirl, then dump out the mixture into a bowl and stir in the grated cheeses. I use sharp cheddar cheese, and then the Mexican cheese, queso fresco, if I have it, or else mozzarella or Monterey jack--basically, any white cheese.
I usually add in some bean and cheese quesadillas along with the ones with the chicken mixture. This can all be assembled outside, if you are cooking on the grill...or in this case, on a pancake griddle!
This was my first time to try these on the griddle. It was too much work to start the grill (which is charcoal, ugh!) and too hot to use the oven inside, so I came up with the idea of using the pancake griddle moved outside. This worked so well, I think I will always cook Party Quesadillas this way! Oh, I also used two kinds of tortillas--a spicy jalapeƱo tortilla, and a regular white flour tortilla.
I tried using refried black beans for the first time, and liked them just fine. I used a fire roasted enchilada sauce, and added some of this sauce to the beans, along with the cheese. It is nice to be able to offer a platter of two kinds of quesadillas to your guests. Notice in the background is a pizza cutter--great for cutting the cooked quesadilla into quarters.
Here are some of my toppings: pico de gallo, avacados (that were supposed to become guacamole, but didn't make it that far), and a homemade green tomatilla sauce. An offering of sour cream would have been nice if I had some...
And here all the leftovers after the party was all done.  Pop them in a covered container in the fridge, and later heat them on a baking sheet and you can have another party the next day! Not only do these heat up nicely, but they also freeze beautifully and thaw quickly for a fast snack. Oh, just one more thought--I served these at my party with fresh corn on the cob, iced tea, and watermelon.  It was a perfect hot-weather light meal. ~Janice

No comments: