Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Cranberry Bread ~ page 313

I baked this bread for Julia last week, a few days after her baby boy was born. It felt like celebration bread with all its cheerfulness! I have had this recipe since my own kids were little. In fact, I got it from a child's magazine with recipes to cook with your mom! Back in those days, I did not have a food processor to chop my cranberries, so I meticulously cut them in quarters one cranberry at a time!
I used frozen cranberries in my food processor this time--and don't tell anyone, but these frozen berries are 3 years old! I am serious. I bought a really huge bag at Sams 3 years ago...and I have not used it up! They still taste as good as ever.
I mix the chopped berries in with the dry ingredients. This cuts down on the final stirring after the wet ingredients are added.
The raw batter looks pink, but don't worry, it bakes up fine.
It is a little tricky to decide if the loaf is done--check the center with a toothpick. I took my loaf out, then 5 minutes later decided it should go back in for another 5 minutes. No harm done.
After a few minutes to cool,  I turn the cranberry bread out onto a rack.
One thing nice about this bread, is that it is low in fat--only 2 tablespoons of butter. So now you can feel free to spread it with butter if you like! This is very good toasted for breakfast. If you don't have old cranberries in your freezer like me, then you need to buy some this month to make this or you won't have the chance again for a year!

No comments: