Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

New Trick with Pizza Dough ~ page 285

Carissa did a long post on this pizza dough back in April--be sure to have a look. I made this recipe today just to put a couple pizza crusts in my freezer for a quickie meal when I need it. And I learned something by accident that I thought I would share, plus one of my little tips that is not in the cookbook.

Notice something different about the two crusts in this picture?
The crust on the right I rolled out first and popped it into the oven to bake. While rolling it out, I struggled to get it to roll as thin as I wanted it to be--it kept drawing up, so I just gave up and baked it. The crust on the left, I rolled out then left it to sit for 10 minutes waiting for it's turn in the oven while the first crust baked. When I gave the second crust a final roll, I noticed it rolled out very nicely without a struggle. Later today, I mentioned this oddity to Carissa, and she just smiled and said she knew that if you let your dough rest 10 minutes, your crust will roll nicely and stay put without drawing up. Somehow, Carissa had failed to let me in on this little secret she had read about some time ago! But as you can see in my two crust shapes, it works!

Now for my own little pizza crust tip: I like to sprinkle my pan with a dusting of cornmeal, then lay my crust on top the cornmeal. This kind of creates a layer of air between the crust and the bottom of the pan, and makes for a very crisp crust.

A homemade pizza crust in the freezer is like fast food at your fingertips. You can have a delicious pizza in the oven almost as fast as you can make a sandwich!

No comments: