Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Grandmother's Best Stuffing ~ page 83

Our family celebrated Thanksgiving last Saturday, November 13th. I know that sounds early--but it was the only time that all the family could be together until several days after Thanksgiving day. (Deer hunting was our problem....) So of course, I had to make Grandmother's Best Stuffing from our cookbook (after all, I am the grandmother of all these kids)...
Yes, there are 8 of them, all under 5 years of age!  And that baby I am holding is only ONE day old--I am serious! Julia home-birthed this 9 pound 3 ounce beautiful boy the day before, but she and baby Pace still made it to our Thanksgiving lunch!
Okay, back to the stuffing...I have been saving up leftover cornbread in my freezer for a couple months just for this recipe. I use about 2/3 cornbread, and 1/3 or so quality white bread. I think it is important to use good bread--not the cheap stuff. Cube the bread and cornbread and dry it out for a few days on the counter, or in a low oven.
Now saute the vegetables until soft.
Mix everything in a large bowl. I add a handful of raisins and some dried cranberries to the mix because my husband likes it that way. Feel free to add more broth than what is called for if you want a moister dressing. I make it a little on the dry side so I can add lots of turkey gravy on top! Happy early Thanksgiving to all our cooking friends!

No comments: