Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Spicy, Healthy Meatloaf ~ page 171, Make & Freeze!

We have so many people ask about freezing recipes--well, we freeze most anything, though there are some things that are more "freezer-friendly" than others. This meatloaf is a classic for the freezer. I often make this  just to divide up in portions, package, and freeze.
Today, this loaf was divided 3 ways--half to freeze for a meal to take to someone, then 2 double serving portions for my own use. Oh, and I had to cut one slice to taste, of course...This recipe has a generous amount of sauce, so when I package up each portion, I add a little more sauce to each one.

I want to pass on a little trick I learned today--this meatloaf has some good veggies in it--carrots, celery, onion--and the recipe says to chop them small in the food processor (or by hand), then sauté in 2 tablespoons butter. I was in a hurry today, so I decided to skip this step, thinking those veggies are so small, they should cook just fine in the meatloaf--and the added bonus, is this deletes 2 tablespoons of fat! I gave it a try and found it made no difference at all. So feel free to skip the last half of step 1 in this recipe.
Here is a close up of this flavorful, healthy meatloaf--even chock full of vegetables, it has good texture and stays together nicely when sliced. I used half turkey/half beef this time, though it usually just depends on what I have on hand.

No comments: