Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Good Ole Taco Soup ~ page 48

My granddaughter, Lillian, ate 3 bowls of this soup for supper--it was a big hit with her, though not so much with her little sister...oh well, who can figure kids out! I am going to blog about this soup that I did not make, but that I enjoyed very much when Carissa made it for me after my 9th day of recovering from pneumonia. I am so happy to be back in the world of the eating again! (Don't get pneumonia--it will spoil your appetite for good food, or actually, any food.)
Carissa mixed this soup up, browning the meat and onions first, then put it in the slow cooker for about 5 hours to simmer. The recipe calls for a combination of 3 beans--kidney, Navy, and pinto--but feel free to use any combination you like. This one had black beans instead of the kidney beans. The hominy is my favorite part of this soup--where else can you enjoy hominy? I think this soup is the only recipe I have that calls for hominy. The nice thing about hominy, as opposed to corn, is that it can hold up to long cooking times and still taste great.
We like taco soup served with grated cheddar cheese, tortilla chips, and diced avocado. If you want, a dollop of sour cream would be nice too.
This soup just makes you feel happy--whether you have been sick or not.  ~Janice

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I have been cooking from your cookbook a TON lately, and this is one of the recipes I tried. My husband, who I have NEVER made soup for (he says he despises it) loved it! Thank you for allowing our family to eat soup again...ps you're tortilla soup was awesome too, and he loved that too!

Janice Johnson said...

Jennifer--I didn't know that was you till I saw your pic...I would never have guessed that Josh did not like soup--and I even have your inspired minestrone soup that you made us, in the cookbook! I am so glad you are enjoying cooking the book!--Janice