Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Friday, October 1, 2010

Seafood Caesar Pasta Salad ~ page 72; Avocado Quesadillas ~ page 90

Yesterday was Carissa's birthday, so I made a light outdoor lunch for her in my back yard--which as of two months ago, is right next door to her house! (Living next door has been very convenient for working on recipes--not to mention how nice it is to be near all 8 of our grandkids here in Houston!.) I know Carissa likes this salad a lot, so I put it all together the evening before to let the flavors blend.

Carissa and I often brainstorm the recipes from the cookbook to see how they might could be made even better. I had the idea, after I made my salad, that it would be nice to double the imitation lobster meat in this recipe. I was thinking as we were eating that I might try that next time, so that you get a delicious chunk of lobster with each bite of pasta.
I served the pasta salad with the Avocado Quesadillas (page 90) and their spicy dipping sauce.  These were wonderful and went well with the salad.  I crisped up the flour tortillas on a griddle instead of broiling them in the oven like the recipe says. That works well if you don't want to heat up your oven. (In August I blogged about these quesadillas when I made them from corn tortillas.) Add some ice tea and you have a very nice end-of-the-summer meal. I always think of Carissa's birthday as being the last day of summer. Now...I'm in the mood to start cooking up some fall recipes! ~Janice

No comments: