Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Friday, October 15, 2010

Olive Oil Granola with Fruit and Nuts

This recipe is under the New Recipes tab and I've been meaning to make it for a while, since my husband is such a big cereal fan. It was definitely tasty... I almost felt bad pouring milk all over it because it stands so well on its own. This is the kind of granola that if you eat too much your jaw will start to ache from all the chewy fruit and nuts... but that's a good thing!


I bought lots of my fruit and nuts in the bulk section at our grocery store because I wanted to have some good stuff in there... usually I find the unsweetened coconut there but they didn't have any so I took a glance in the baking aisle. This bag was only $1 and I found the granola didn't lack any sweetness. The recipe didn't really specify, so now you know you can use whichever.


And this is my granola in the vintage Tupperware container that Janice recently passed down to us in their effort to downsize. Now I'm a true hippie granola mom!

1 comment:

Janice Johnson said...

I am practically addicted to this granola! There is something unique about the salty/sweet and the slight hint of olive oil that makes it taste like nothing you ever had.

Because I am the only one that eats my granola--David just wants his usual flake cereal--I have started leaving out fruits, except diced dates, as in time, other fruits will soften the crunchiness of this granola. I just throw in random dried fruits with each bowl.

One other tip...don't put the coconut into the mix in the oven until the last 15 minutes or so--it browns very quickly and looses some of its sweetness when it does.