Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Friday, August 27, 2010

Mona gets cooking...

Our sweet friend, Mona, has been doing some cooking and telling me (Janice) about it, but I can't seem to get her to post on her own, so I am putting on her comments to share with others! She wrote a good synopsis of the recipes she has liked: 

Carissa's Lasagna - excellent. Easiest lasagna recipe I ever cooked. It didn't quite fill the pan of a 9x13 when I was assembling it (which made me nervous) but it of course expanded when the noodles cooked in the oven and came out lovely. What was great was how it was not too "saucy" when I served it right out of the oven. Mine is usually so messy and never looks pretty til the second day. And it was sooooo easy to assemble.

Carissa's Chicken Picatta - I loved it - but I forgot Phillip doesn't like capers so he wasn't thrilled with it. Plus it was too tart for him. Possibly, because I only cooked two chicken breasts but didn't reduce the sauce, maybe that's why it was so lemony. (4 breasts might have absorbed the sauce better). But I really loved it. If I only make it with two breasts next time, I might cut back on the lemon juice and capers for Phillip's benefit.

Carissa's salmon for two was wonderful. We had it last night. But I didn't buy two 12 ounce filet's. I bought a one pound piece of salmon (skin on the back). It was on sale. Anyway, the one pouud piece was more than enough for us. I was surprised she had two 12 oz filets because I know you guys do not overindulge and cook huge portions. But it was really tasty. I used my fresh basil from my potted herbs. Only change I made was the last couple of minutes I opened up the foil and turned the broiler on to dry the top of th salmon just a bit.
 
I'm really loving your recipe book. I am going to order one for Shannon for Christmas. Would love to see more beef/pork recipes because we eat so much chicken and I like to change things. I  like using the book because most of the recipes are easy with ingredients that I usually have around.  I think my next recipe to try will be the Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta.

No comments: