Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Friday, August 27, 2010

Shrimp in Creamy Wine Sauce ~ page 187

Adam took one bite and said to the rest of us at the table (which included me, a 5 yr old, and a 3 yr old) "Who thinks this is the best thing they have ever put in their mouth?" Everyone but the 3 yr old raised their hand! It has been too long since I made this....my oh my, it is delicious! I got this recipe from a former co-worker when I lived in Tyler. She called it "Party Shrimp", which I think sounds more fun that the title that we gave it in our cookbook. It really is a party in your mouth.
Here is the sauce being poured over the raw shrimp, mushrooms, and artichoke hearts. I did cut my artichokes hearts into smaller pieces mainly for the kiddos. Oh, and I didn't have Sherry, so I used white wine with equally delicious results. The recipe calls for 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of cream...I just used 2 cups of milk (I was out of cream) and it was just as deliciously creamy, so I think I will change that in my cookbook for next time I make it, that way it is a little healthier. I also accidentally sprinkled 1 cup of Parmesan cheese on top instead of the 1/4 cup the recipe called for. I was reading the recipe really fast. I might do that again next time, I think it really added to the flavor.
Above is a pic as it came out of the oven...the Parmesan cheese coats the shrimp and the paprika adds great color. I have always served this over rice, Adam thinks I should try it over grits next time.
Here is a pic of my 5 yr old with her empty bowl! She gobbled it up, but the 3 yr old just wanted the sauce and rice. Over all I would say that my first evening to cook a real dinner since baby Sylvia was born a month ago was a great success. We have been eating out of the freezer when friends and family weren't bringing dinner over. It feels good to get back in the swing of things.
--Carissa

No comments: