Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Monday, August 16, 2010

Wonderful Homemade Pie Crust ~ page 265


Fresh peach pie--does it get any better than that! I found peaches for 49 cents a pound the other day, so I just had to make a pie using our pie crust recipe. I worked on this crust recipe for several years trying to find the right proportions of butter and shortening. Years ago, I used all shortening, but I like the richer flavor of butter, plus, I wanted to lower the shortening content because of the trans fats in it. But crust does need some shortening in it or the dough will be very hard to work with, as the butter gets too soft.

I like to make my dough, then  pat it into a 6-inch circle, put it in a baggie, and refrigerate it for 30 minutes or even a day ahead. Then I take it out to roll it while it is really cold. That keeps it easier to work with. This crust did justice to my summer peaches--mmmm, it was very good! ~Janice

No comments: