Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo ~ page 43

This gumbo tasted so cozy on a cold night this week. I bought a package of fresh chicken quarters...it had 4 quarters in there, I think it only cost $2.80, so cheaper than a whole chicken. I simmered the chicken in water with some onion, bay leave, and peppercorns. Then shredded the meat, that way I had some good broth for the gumbo.
Below is the roux...you are suppose to cook it till it is chocolate brown, I got a little lazy and stopped a little early mainly cuz I had a screaming baby that needed to be fed, so I chose the baby over the roux. The roux was a little dry, I'm not sure if I mis-measured or if it needed a touch more oil, but I added a little more and it was better. So feel free to add a little more oil if it needs it.
I doubled the recipe so here is my 4 cups of chicken...
Below is my big yummy pot of gumbo. We had my cousin Nathan and his girlfriend Marianna over for dinner. The recipe called for spicy sausage, but I used mild sausage because of the kids, but I kinda wish I had used something hotter, I thought it needed a little kick. Don't be afraid to salt this, the recipe just says to "salt to taste". For a doubled batch I used 1 teaspoon, and thought it needed more still. I stuck a container of the leftovers in the freezer for another cold day...YUM! --Carissa

No comments: