Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Perfect Chocolate Layer Cake ~ page 243

My daughter-in-law, Cathy, just told me she does not usually care for chocolate cake because it is dry--well, believe me, this is not a dry cake at all! But the interesting thing is, neither is it loaded up with butter and oil to keep it moist. There is just a modest amount of oil in the recipe. What is different, is that boiling water is added to the batter, and somehow this makes for a moist cake.
I made this cake for my son Matthew's 36th birthday--here he is with his cousin, Nathan, (on the right) and Nathan's girlfriend, Marianna, at Matthew's family birthday party. You know, years ago I remember my mother-in-law always commenting on my husband's birthdays that she couldn't believe she had a son that old. Well, finally I know what she means...all my kids birthdays seems to remind me that they must have a very old mother if they are that old! Ha!
Here is the beginnings of this easy and delicious layer cake...I used a mixture of (expensive) dark cocoa that I love, and a cheaper store brand cocoa--just to get the best of both worlds. I put parchment paper in the bottom of the cake pans, then grease and flour them to make removing the cake a breeze.
The cake batter is very thin after you add the boiling water--but don't worry, it all comes out perfect in the end.
Look at this face...don't you know what she is asking for!
Finally, the cake is iced--dig in girl!
Fulfillment.

No comments: