Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Friday, September 10, 2010

Chicken Cacciatore ~ page 110

Years before Carissa and I wrote down all our recipes for What We Cook, we talked about writing a cookbook of dishes that are good to take to a church pot luck, or to a friend that needs a meal. We never wrote that cookbook, but if we ever do, this will be one of the recipes in it. This is a wonderful, comforting meal to take to a friend that has had a hard week. Be sure to make enough for your own family though, as the smells from your kitchen will draw them in wanting some!
Start by browning your chicken pieces. I sort of doubled the recipe, so I browned chicken in two batches.
I had these little colorful sweet peppers, so I threw some of those in with the veggies. Be sure to cut your chunks of vegetables into pretty big pieces, so they don't get lost in the sauce.
Remove the browned chicken, and add the vegetables to the pot to sauté.
My granddaughter, Lillian, wanted to stir...
But as soon as I turned my head, she did some tasting...unfortunately, with a big blop of red sauce down her white shirt! We tried to clean it up before her momma saw it...
At the very end of the simmer time, add in the black and green olives. I didn't have green olives, so I used capers, which have kind of the same flavor as a green olive. The olives are what makes the flavor of this dish really stand out.
Here is the full meal I put together--I added the Green Bean Toss ~ page 97, and the Rosemary Dipping Bread ~ page 287.  This is a light, but warm and tasty dinner that will pack up easily to take to the home of someone that could use a good meal at the end of a challenging week.

No comments: