Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Salmon and Noodle Bowl ~ page 184

This is one of those meals that you can't believe something so simple and fast is so delicious! I love one-dish meals that can stand alone. I did change a couple things up in this recipe--there is lots of room for creativity here. I had some Chinese noodles I got from the Asian market that I substituted for the fettuccine, and I was very pleased with how well they compliment this dish.

I also changed up the salmon a bit, because I had the time to do something a little snazzier with it than a simple pan sauté. I have been wanting to try an Orange Basil Marinade to use on grilled salmon, and I decided it would work well with this recipe. Here is the marinade I used:
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
I poured the marinade in a zipper-top bag with the salmon and put it in the fridge for two hours, turning it occasionally. Then I had David fire up the grill and cook the salmon, covered, on the grill for about 8 minutes each side. That was all the time it took to mix up the rest of the recipe. Oh, one more thing--if you don't have a balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing on hand, it is easy to just mix one up to use in this recipe. Here is the simple vinaigrette I whisked together:
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 teaspoons dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon chopped garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • You probably wont need all of this on your hot noodles--just use what looks good to you, and save the rest for a future salad. I wish we had leftovers of this meal to eat cold the next day like Carissa suggests in this recipe, but it was so good we ate it all up. ~Janice

No comments: