Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Microwave Peanut Brittle ~ page 256

This is so good, I made it twice this weekend! Peanut craving I guess.

A large glass measuring cup made the job easy. I know that different microwaves can do different things depending on the wattage, so I searched around online to find cooking times that matched my microwave (mine is 1100 watts and required less time in the first 2 steps - I didn't want to risk burning it).

I just poured it onto a sheet of parchment paper and helped it spread with a non-stick sprayed spatula. Yum! I wish I could have tried it with pecans but I just don't have any right now.



2 comments:

Janice Johnson said...

I dropped by Julia's house last night and had a sampling of this peanut brittle--it actually has been quite a few years since I tasted this when Carissa first started making it--so I was reminded how good it is. And compared to the old fashioned way of cooking on the stove with a candy thermometer, this microwave version is great! Thanks, Julia, for telling us the microwave wattage--now I need to know how to find out my own microwave wattage...hmmm, I am not the engineer Julia is, but maybe a laymen like me can find it...we will see...

Julia said...

Okay, fine... the thought occurred to me but the mom side took over the engineer side (this started happening 4 years ago actually) and I didn't let myself think about it. But here you go, my rough estimate:

700W - 10 minute total cook time
800W - 9
900W - 8
1000W - 7
1100W - 6

Now you have to readjust the times for each step.. my steps were 2.5, 2, 1.5 minutes respectively. Really, how can you pass up 6 minute peanut brittle??