Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Homemade Whole-Grain Pancake Mix ~ page 297

I love this whole-grain pancake mix.  I find I make pancakes much more often now that I have a healthy mix ready to go. This is so easy to make. You do need a food processor to grind up the oat flakes for the mix, however, I think a blender might do almost as well. Just don't grind to a powder--you want small hunks of oats. I keep my mix in a plastic sealed container in the fridge. It will last almost forever...
All you need to mix up pancakes is 1 cup of your mix, an egg, and 1 cup of buttermilk.  I have tried using a buttermilk substitute (milk with lemon juice) but I find it does not work very well in this recipe. You really need the thickness of the buttermilk. (However, if you only use maybe 2/3 cup of the milk/lemon juice mixture, that might keep the batter thick enough...)These pancakes puff up nicely and taste delicious! Oh, and one more thought...we have found that blueberries are actully better on top pancakes, rather than in them. They just taste fresher that way.

No comments: