Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Monday, February 15, 2010

Thin and Crispy Oatmeal Cookies, pg. 219

There is a bit of a trick to get these cookies thin enough--and that is what makes them crispy, which is what is unique about this cookie. I recently took these cookies to my Dad in the hospital, becuase I knew this crisp cookie stays fresh tasting longer than does a soft and chewy cookie. I did make one revision in this recipe, which calls to dip the bottom of a glass into flour and then press down on the ball of cookie dough (step 2). Instead of flour, I used sugar, which was Carissa's reccomendation she tried, and passed the tip to me. It makes for a prettier cookie, as the flour sometimes left white smears on the finished cookies. Dipping in the sugar looks much nicer.

I also use a little pizza crust roller I have to roll the cookie just a bit thinner still than what the glass pressing does.  I know this is extra work, but it really is worth it!
When I press down the ball of cookie dough, and after I roll it even a little more flat with my pizza roller, I like to then use a table knife to even up the edges and keep a smooth circle on the cookie. This cookie will not change or spread as it is baking, so get it to its finished size when you are flattening and shaping it. I think these cookies look great when they are kind of on the big side.  I didn't get a picture of my finished cookie--so just imagine these with a deep golden brown color, and you have the idea! You are going to love these cookies!

No comments: