Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Red Beans and Rice with Sausage...page 166

I always keep a bag of dry small red beans in my pantry and some sausage in the freezer for those mornings I can't think of anything else to make for dinner. I quick soak mine (I can't plan dinner ahead enough to overnight soak) I bring the beans to a boil for 2 minutes, then turn the burner off and let them sit until after lunch when I turn up the heat and simmer for several hours. It is important to not add salt until the end. For some reason salt hinders the beans from getting soft enough. I posted a picture of the beans on the stove below so you could see the size pot I use and how much it makes. The leftovers are great! My kids gobbled this for days!


No comments: