Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Spicy, Healthy Meatloaf, pg. 171

Every time I make this tasty meatloaf, I admit I try something new. I love to try eliminating steps, just to see if they are really all that important! I know that sounds bad, but often it does work into streamlining a recipe. On this meatloaf, I decided to skip the saute of the small diced vegetables. That meant less butter and less work. It just seemed those vegetables could cook just fine while baking in the meatloaf--and I was right. No ill-effects from skipping the last half of step 1 in this recipe! 
I want to show you my meatloaf pan I have used for years--I don't even remember where I got it. But the two layers of pans are wonderful to drain off the grease to make a low-fat meatloaf.  I found a link on Amazon that still sells these for just around 12 dollars. http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Piece-Nonstick-Meatloaf-Bread/dp/B0002L0ZMK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1265720188&sr=8-2
I like to use a very healthy bread in my meatloaf, because meatloaf just hides all that nutrition so well! Another thing I love doing, is mixing up meatloaf, and meatballs too, in my mixer. It works so fast and there is no mess.

I had some extra of the meatloaf mixture (and I added part ground turkey also) that didn't fit in my pan, so I made some large meatballs, and then poured the beef broth around them to cook. This recipe will make meatballs just fine. (The broth keeps meatballs from becoming tough or dry in the oven.)

And here is the finished Spicy, Healthy Meatloaf!

1 comment:

Carissa said...

If you don't have a nifty meatloaf pan like my mom's then you could do a free form loaf shape on a broiler pan. You know the pan that comes with most ovens that has a top pan with drainage holes, and then the bottom pan that is solid. I haven't actually tried this yet, but read it in several cookbooks.