Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Chicken Tikka Masala ~ page 138

I know this recipe has already been blogged about, but I made it again today and had a change that I made that I think made it better. In the recipe it says to cook the chicken and discard the marinade...well, it is quite difficult to separate the marinade from the chicken since it is thick yogurt. Most of the marinade gets sautéed in with the chicken. The recipe has you taking out the chicken after it is cooked so you can make the sauce then add the chicken back in. When you are ready to dump the chicken back in the sauce try draining the juices off first... it is all the marinade that turned watery while cooking. Check out the photo below...there was alot of juice to pour off. This reduces your simmering time since the sauce is thicker without the juicy marinade.
I tried out a new brand of coconut milk today ...GOYA, I really liked it. I am having an Indian Dinner Party tomorrow night and wanted to get a head start on cooking, so I made this today and put it in the fridge...I think the flavors are gonna be even better tomorrow!

1 comment:

Carissa said...

I have been looking at some other Tikka Masala recipes and took the advice of one of those and added a tablespoon or so of tomato paste to the sauce at the end to add a deeper tomato flavor...I really like the end result, so you might want to give it a try.