Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Italian Breadsticks ~ page 282


This was a recipe that my Aunt Lorrie gave me when I first got married, she hand wrote all her favorite recipes in a cute little cookbook that I still have on my cookbook shelf! My daughters love cooking in the kitchen, but are especially into dough. They can smell it from across the house I think, sometimes I try to hide the fact that I am mixing up dough, but they always seem to know what I'm doing.

I did something a little different with these breadsticks...I turned them into pepperoni rolls...if you have a Double Dave's pizza place near you, then you know how yummy these rolls are! I cut the pepperoni into quarters, and the cheese into sticks. I started doing this years ago when we lived in Tyler, and they are always a hit especially with guys and kiddos.

Below is how I roll them up....
Here are the girls eagerly forming their own rolls...they didn't eat much dinner once they were baked because they were stuffing raw dough in their mouths as fast as they could!
And Below is the finished product. I made a double batch of dough and if the girls didn't eat so much dough it would have made 10 rolls. Just read the directions on this recipe before you add all the flour, you start with just half of the flour, then knead in as much additional flour as you can...sometimes I almost use all the flour, but other times I have a bunch of flour leftover...maybe it depends on the weather or humidity? Not sure. anyway, give these a try, the melted butter and garlic salt on top is the icing on the roll, don't skip it! :) Make sure you have lots of Ranch dressing to dip these in when you eat them! --Carissa


3 comments:

Janice Johnson said...

I had to laugh at how big Carissa's kitchen looks in the pictures of the girls...that is a smoke a mirrors trick! Actually, Carissa has a wall that is a floor to ceiling mirror in her kitchen (a bit unusual for sure!)and it really does the trick to make the kitchen look big!

Sharea Myrick said...

Hey! Can these be done ahead of time and frozen??? Thinking about making early for our beach trip.
Sharea

Carissa said...

These should be fine made ahead. I would freeze them until the last minute though and pack them in an ice chest frozen.