Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Janice's No-Mess Meatballs ~ page 157

David's Swedish family serves meatballs in a bowl like this--no sauce, no nothing on them. That is when you really have to have a tasty meatball--if it has to stand alone. I love the spicy, fresh taste this recipe has. There are 3 key ingredients that make these stand out: a large amount of fresh parsley, Parmesan cheese, and a dash of nutmeg. (Sometimes I add a dash of allspice too, because that is what the Swedes do.)
I use a high grain whole wheat bread to make fresh crumbs in the food processor.
This is so easy--measure and dump everything into your stand mixer. Oh, I used half ground beef and half turkey this time...
And in less than a minute, it is all perfectly blended.
I form my meatballs with a cookie scoop to proportion them, then roll them smooth in my hands. Then here is the trick that keeps the meatballs moist--1 cup of beef broth is added to the pan to simmer the meatballs in the oven. This is where the "no-mess" part of this recipe comes into play!
In just 15 minutes the meatballs are done, and nicely browned with no effort.
We ate our meatballs on top egg noodles and they were perfect. The leftovers went in a zipper-top bag and into the freezer. This was the first time I have used half turkey, and I think they were even more tender than the all beef ones. You might want to make a note of that in your cookbook!

2 comments:

cybertrickz said...

delicious meatballs can i have some =)

chefdebg said...

These meatballs look great. I usually do mix beef and turkey, also. I like the combination and the texture it gives my meatloaf too. I love the idea of using the kitchen aid to mix the meat mixture, and also adding the beef broth to the pan to prevent drying out. Great tips Janice. I do love cooking my meatballs in the oven already, so the extra broth will be a nice addition.
Looking forward to making this recipes.