Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Friday, July 9, 2010

Cinnamon Rolls ~ page 293

I made these a couple of days ago... there is something I lately have found so satisfying about yeast breads! Here is one interesting product I use:


I swapped 1 cup of regular flour for whole grain, and whenever I use whole wheat flour I add this Vital Wheat Gluten (1 tsp per cup whole grain flour) which does seem to make a difference - I always get a nice fluffy rise! Here are my rolls after the second rising, and this is in a 10x15" pan, bigger than the suggested 9x13". I put 2 rolls in the smaller dish and thought, "there's no way these will fit!"


The finished product was quite tasty; the cream cheese icing perfect. Next time, I will try two alterations: I will probably roll the dough out thinner, to get more swirl in the rolls... I probably should have known to roll it thinner, but I'd never made them before! I also might bake at a higher temp next time, because they took quite a while to get slightly browned on top, and I think that they ended up a tad bit dry. But they were still delicious!


I cut them all apart, bagged half for the freezer here at home and the other half for Ben's freezer at work so he has a tasty treat that's better for him than a candy bar :) I know the icing will last a long while in the fridge, I've made it before for cupcakes.

No comments: