Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Marinera Pasta Sauce ~ page 23

This is still on my stove right now simmering away...so my house smells like an Italian restaurant! The only thing I might change is to cut the black peper down. The cookbook calls for 1 teaspoon, I think that might be a typo...1/2 teaspoon would be better. Unless you like your sauce with a kick, then just leave it.

Below is a picture to show how chunky I leave my veggies since they go into a food processor.
Then saute' them up before adding everything else..I process mine pretty fine so the kids and the husband don't detect the carrots!
I buy the cheapest wine to cook with...I know on Food Network they always say to buy nicer stuff since you are concentrating the flavors, but I thought this $2.98 bottle from Wal-mart fit into my budget very nicely! :) It adds a nice depth of flavor.
I don't have a picture of the sauce on pasta because first of all, it is still simmering, but I am about to cool it and stick it in the freezer for an emergency meal after the baby is born. (just a couple weeks to go!!)

Adam needs all the help he can get when it comes to cooking dinner for me! :) This way all he has to do is thaw it out and boil pasta and a healthy dinner is ready! --Carissa

2 comments:

Janice Johnson said...

That 1 teaspoon of black pepper probably came from me, as I never think anything has too much pepper in it! :) I love this sauce too. I divide it up into zipper-top baggies and freeze it flat. It will thaw very quickly to use for a fast meal. ~Janice

Carissa said...

So you are the one who changed my pepper? I looked back at my original recipe and it just had 1/2 teaspoon. Adam will probably think it is fine, but the kids kept telling me it was spicy!