Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Chicken Spaghetti ~ page 125

I made this recipe last week. I don't normally use the word "yummy"...but it is the best word to describe this dish! Ummm...it really is very yummy! There are a few steps in preparation, but overall, this is very simple to prepare.
I used American cheese rather than Velveeta. It works pretty much the same...nice and creamy when melted.
A whole grain pasta works well in this recipe--you won't notice the difference. I didn't have a bell pepper as called for, but I had fresh mushrooms, so used those instead.
Rotisserie chicken makes this dish so easy. I buy them two at a time, and keep some deboned meat in my freezer all the time.
Just dump everything together, after sauteeing the vegetables.
The mixing gets a bit difficult once you add the spaghetti. I even broke my wooden spatula trying to mix this...so I changed to a stronger hard plastic spatula.
But actually, what works the best is two forks...
This recipe makes a lot. One casserole was for lunch, and the other went into the freezer. I sprinkled red pepper on my casserole to bump up the spice a little. On the one headed for the freezer, I used paprika on the top, because I had plans to serve that when my grandaughters came to visit. Today, I was happy to be able to pull this out of the freezer after breakfast, then put it in the oven for an hour (still icy) to cook at lunch time with Carissa, Lillian and Evelyn here at my house. I think this chicken spaghetti is even better on the second day, so I know we will enjoy it tomorrow too. And the girls really ate this up! This is a great kid pleasing meal that grown-ups love just as much.

No comments: