Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Crepes ~ page 316

I was not planning on making crepes today...till my sister-in-law, Karen, challenged my use of baking powder in our crepe recipe--claiming this ingredient is not in the true Johnson Swedish pancakes. I am not sure who invented the "Svenska's," or Swedish pancakes the Johnson's make. I know my father-in-law made them for me when I first spent a weekend at their house when David and I were still dating. I know one of David's brothers makes them a lot for his family. But at my house, I became the Swedish pancake maker...and somehow it evolved that this was the recipe I always used.

But Karen got me to thinking, and I wanted to know if there was a difference in crepes with baking powder, and crepes without....so David and I did a taste test. We made one batch with, and one without. After much tasting back and forth...and after eating a LOT of these crepes...we both decided the baking powder made no difference at all. They both tasted the same. So the moral is: If you happen to forget the baking powder when making this recipe--don't worry about it--it does not seem to matter!

Crepes are so delicious, extremely versatile, and a good group activity in the kitchen. They are tasty any time of the day! Here is how the thin batter looks when it is first poured into a hot skillet...
And then when you turn it over...
It only takes minutes till you are eating them! Thanks, Karen, this was our supper tonight!

1 comment:

Janice Johnson said...

An email from Karen, who does not yet know how to post a comment!:)

"Reading this cracked Randy and me up. It also made us very hungry for crepes. Must make them soon! Baby Blake ate lots of them in the womb!"