Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Hot Cross Buns ~ page 273

This is my Easter tradition: Hot Cross Buns. I love the looks of these buns, the hint of cinnamon and fruit taste, and the symbolism of Easter.  I decided to make them early this year, to share some with my sister, Lorrie, who is coming to visit for her 50th birthday on Friday! These will be part of our lunch, and the rest will stay in the freezer till Easter Sunday. I like these for breakfast, dinner, or any time in between! I did a few deviations this time...mostly because I was out of the required raisins that the recipe calls for.
So I chopped up some apricots instead...
Then I found some golden raisins in the pantry to add...then decided why not add a few cranberries too! It was not quite the same as using dark raisins, but it worked.
After rising, I rolled hunks of the dough to a small golf ball size. 
I used to always cover rising dough with a tea towel, like my grandmothers used to do. But the past few years, I have found that plastic wrap does a better job of keeping bread dough from drying a bit, which inhibits the rise a little.
Next comes the bake-on X.  Blend the writing mix of butter and flour, then put it in a baggie. 
Seal the bag, then barely snip of the end off the bag.
The X's don't have to be perfect--nothing to stress over.
Very delicious--David and I gobbled down 2 of them each right out of the oven!  Have a blessed Easter, and I hope you get to make some Hot Cross Buns!

No comments: