Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Angel Hair with Fresh Herbs and Tomato ~ page 88

I have been waiting to make this recipe until the tomatoes in my garden ripened. This is a nice, light summer meal, but it is a hot meal, not salad or sandwiches like most summer meals.
I grow a lot of herbs in my garden, and it just makes me smile to use them. This is my basil, oregano, and thyme I used for this recipe. Actually, I cut this recipe in half, although I used the full portion of herbs, and also of the walnuts, because I like those parts of the recipe so much! (By the way, I always lightly toast nuts before I use them, to crisp them up and bring out the flavor.) I did not have goat cheese on hand, but I did have feta cheese, and that is a fine substitute. Also, my pasta was thin spaghetti, though the angel hair really is very nice if you have it.
This mulitgrain pasta adds some fiber, without getting too heavy a taste, like whole wheat pasta can.The jar on the right is capers, in case you are not familiar with them. They are much like tiny pearl-size olives. So if you need to substitute, use chopped olives. (The capers and the walnuts are the little flavor surprise in the recipe, so don't leave them out.) I am also showing you, on the left, a jar of prepared basil pesto...I used this on top of tilapia to quickly bake the fish and then put on top of my completed pasta recipe. This was a last-minute idea for adding a little more substance to the meal. It worked wonderfully!
This meal was ready in about 20 minutes. Can't beat that for in and out of the kitchen fast.

No comments: