Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Tuxedo Brownie Squares ~ page 263

The raspberry and white chocolate topping is what makes these brownies special. The presentation is elegant, the taste rich, but refreshing, and the preparation is easy as pie...no, much easier than pie!
I used the Best Brownies ~ page 247, for the brownie base. You can use a brownie mix in this recipe, if you desire, but the Best Brownies are so easy to mix up, you might as well make them from scratch I think. I skipped the optional chocolate chips when mixing up the Best Brownies, as the white chocolate topping and raspberries is so rich and delicious on the Tuxedo Brownies, you really want that to be your focus.
The topping recipe calls for 2 packages of cream cheese, and I only had one, so I substituted 1 cup of plain yogurt, (and skipped the 1/4 cup milk) and found it worked just as well (and less calories!). A layer of raspberry jam is spread on the cooled brownies, then a layer of frozen or fresh raspberries; then the cream cheese, melted white chocolate, and whipped topping is added. I used Cool Whip for the whipped topping, although I am not a fan of Cool Whip because it is made of strange ingredients....and if I am making Tuxedo Brownies to be eaten the day I make them, I sometimes use fresh whipped cream. However, if you plan to make these a day ahead, or eat on them for several days, you need to use the Cool Whip or the topping will become runny. And actually, I think these taste even better the second day, as the raspberry mixture really soaks into the brownie layer and flavors it so nicely. Let me tell you, these are delightfully delicious!

No comments: