Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Indoor Grilled Fish Tacos ~ page 181

I made these fish tacos the other night, and they are an easy, tasty summer dinner dish! Even if you make the slaw the evening you eat the fish tacos, it doesn't take too long to throw together (though you could have dinner on the table even faster if you make the slaw the day before as the recipe suggests). I would only make a couple of changes - but they aren't necessary! The next time I make these, I will probably season the fish with a little bit of salt and pepper in addition to the Cajun seasoning. Also, my hubby and I think we would prefer a creamy slaw - I think the slaw from the recipe for the Spicy Hot Turkey Wraps on p. 74 of the cookbook would be perfect, so I'm going to try that next time (that is another great recipe by the way!!). I will definitely be adding these to our standard rotation!
A fish taco about to be gobbled up!

Close-up of the slaw:
The various ingredients for the tacos pre-assembly:

2 comments:

Mike said...

We love the Indoor Grilled Fish Tacos also, and have them once a week. We look forward to the night we will have them with great anticipation. I just pepper the fish instead of using the Cajun seasoning on the filets. Too much of that seasoning upsets my wife's stomach. We learned the hard way that you cannot use conventional corn tortillas, they will soak up the dressing and break through. You need to buy the extra thick (heavy duty) corn tortillas or you will have to eat your taco with a fork. The extra thick corn tortillas come in a zip lock pouch. I like the idea of using the sauce from page 74, but I don't know what adobo sauce is or where to find it.

Janice Johnson said...

Adobo sauce is in the Mexican food isle. It comes in a little short can. It is great stuff--it only takes a little to add some heat and a nice smoky flavor. And it lasts a long time in the fridge. I will try to get a pic of it on the blog. I didn't know about heavy duty tortillas...I will have to look for those. I just double them up to help with the tearing problem. Great comments, Mike--thanks!