Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Cinnamon Rolls ~ page 293

These were very good, I didn't have time to make the cream cheese icing on the day I made the rolls (a couple weeks ago), so this icing in the picture is just a powdered sugar glaze that did the job. I made a double batch and made them a little smaller, so I got almost 4 dozen! I froze them to take to a big family reunion we are going to this weekend. I made the real icing from the cookbook this afternoon to take, it was quite tasty! I'm anxious to try them with this icing.
One thing I liked about this recipe over others I have made is that you don't pour melted butter over the dough...that is messy,and just oozes out when you roll them up. This just uses soft room temp butter, much easier to work with I think!
Above are the rolls before the 2nd rising.
And below are the rolls after they rise!
The only thing I would do differently next time I make them is to add a touch more sugar to the dough when mixing together. Now, I know that my mother would not agree, I just felt like I ended up putting more icing that I would normally put on a cinnamon roll. Although they were very yummy, and I didn't get any complaints from tasters! Give them a try! They freeze great! Don't cut the 2nd rising back in time at all, you want them nice and light and fluffy!


1 comment:

Janice Johnson said...

I just love the cream cheese icing for these rolls. And, as Carissa said, I like the rolls not so sweet just because I like the icing on thick! If you have leftover icing, it is wonderful on raisin toast or a bagel.