Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Fig Streusel Bars ~ page 233

Ben said to me one day recently, "will you make me some Fig Newton-like snacks for work?" I happened to have come across this recipe so I knew just where to start... except it's not yet fig season, there's no way my small fig tree will produce enough, and stores just don't seem to sell them. I had relegated myself to making him the date bars, which he would have enjoyed had I not come across these...

Dried figs! Janice, just another reason to move to Houston... think of all the money you could be spending at Costco! It took me a while to decide which recipe to follow, but since the fig recipe calls for fresh, and the dried resemble dates, I used the date filling recipe, substituting the same amount of chopped dried figs. Dried figs aren't quite as sweet as dates, but I started out with the amount of honey called for figuring I could add more if it needed it, but it didn't. I cooked the figs for 45 minutes as called for with the fresh figs since they don't dissolve the way dates do. These are definitely tasty, and I'm glad I found the figs because they give the bars that exotic flavor and crunch.
I know I love them, but Ben is out with the guys tonight so I'll update you all with his rating soon!

1 comment:

Janice Johnson said...

My fig tree is oh so loaded down with figs this year...there will be a lot of this recipe in my freezer soon. The figs usually start ripening about July 4th. Julia, you got me anxious. I really do like these! Would you believe though, David likes the date version the best...so either way we are good!