Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Friday, June 18, 2010

Roasted Tomato Soup ~ page 54

I used to think that hot soup in the summer time was just not done. But after going to the country of Colombia with my daughter-in-law, Julia, twice now, I have decided soup in hot weather can still be nice. Julia's grandparents have a bowl of various hot soups before lunch every single day--and it is always very hot there!
My garden is overloaded with ripe tomatoes right now, so I was happy to use up 5 pounds of tomatoes in this recipe!
I love that you don't have to peel the tomatoes for this. Toss quartered tomatoes with olive oil, garlic, and onion. I added a yellow bell pepper that I just happened to have on hand. Then put it in the oven to roast. I used two dishes, just so I would not have to struggle with one being very full of hot juice.
These roasted to perfection in 30 minutes. I stirred them once.
You can use either a food processor or a blender to puree the roasted vegetables. If you have plenty of juices, and you probably will, then don't bother adding the chicken broth to be pureed. I did this in 3 batches.
Here is what you will come out with. If you like, you can strain out some of the seeds. This tomato puree is just a bit chewy with the seeds. I like that, but it is easy to strain out half or all the seeds if they bother you. Now stir in the pepper flakes and the sugar. At this point, you can refrigerate the mixture for a couple days till you are ready for soup, or you can freeze it right at this stage.
When you are ready for soup, heat the tomato puree along with the chicken broth. After a short simmer, stir in the cream and garnish with fresh basil leaves. The freshness of this soup will make you smile.

No comments: