Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Biscotti: Lemon - Anise ~ page 202

These have some great crunch and flavor! Like the recipe states, these biscotti cookies are on the harder side because they don't have any butter in them. I used that low fat excuse to allow myself to eat 5 of them right out of the oven! So if you don't want them so crunchy, just under cook them slightly. You can always put them back in the oven, but it is hard to uncook them! :)
They harden as they cool, so don't over-cook them.
As I was mixing these up, I had the TV on Food Network, and a chef on the show I was watching was making Orange Anise biscotti very similar to mine, but she added almonds. I decided to copy her and toss some in my recipe. Below is how I roast whole almonds in the oven. Just toss them in a pan at 350 degrees as the oven is preheating for cooking the biscotti. By the time the oven is heated the almonds are done.


Above are my logs going in the oven, and below are my logs coming out.
The dough was a little crumbly, and I almost decided there was a typo in the amount of flour, but once I gave it a few more seconds to knead it, it all came together...so be patient with it. Some biscotti dough is sticky, this one is not. If you have never cooked with Anise Seed, give it a try, it has an almost licorice flavor. Very addictive! -Carissa


No comments: