Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Monday, April 19, 2010

Asparagus Fettuccine ~ page 89

We had this yummy side dish with crab cakes, and I thought it was a great pairing. The crab cakes and the pasta both tasted really good with fresh lemon squeezed over the top. Almost made me wonder if we should add some lemon juice to the recipe since there is zest in there already. The only thing I changed was I wanted it a little heavier on the asparagus, so I only used 3/4 pound of pasta instead of the one pound that it calls for. My asparagus was pretty thick, so I think a pound of thick stalks doesn't look like the same quantity as 1 pound of the thins stalks even though I know it really is. So depending on your asparagus size, you may want to adjust your pasta amount. I know alot of you complain about recipes that say " salt to taste", saying you don't know how much that means. It is hard to say, because I think I added 1/4 teaspoon to the recipe, then at the table Adam added almost another 1/4 teaspoon just to his serving! So, it is so different for everyone. Just start with a small amount. You can always add more later.

Oh, you know I did change one other thing...I tried it with 3 Tablespoons of butter instead of the 4 it calls for since I knew my crab cakes weren't low fat. The result....no difference, so feel free to "lighten" it up a bit if you want to! I got this recipe from the Williams Sonoma website years ago, I think they originally had the cheese just passed at the table, but I like having it tossed with the really hot pasta and butter & wine sauce. Next time I might try adding in another veggie...not sure what though, any suggestions? Maybe mushrooms? --Carissa

3 comments:

Dacia said...

is this crab cake recipe in the book? it looks so fantastic and this pairing sounds perfect!

Carissa said...

No, the crab cake recipe isn't in the book. I am still working on a crabcake recipe that I really like. This was Ina Garten's recipe, which was good, but I want to try it again with a few less veggies, she has you putting alot of bell peppers, celery, and onions inside. It kinda hid the taste of the expensive crab I thought. I'lll let you know when I get a cab cake recipe I really like.

Dacia said...

can't wait! sounds so great!