Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Creamy Jalapeno Chicken Pasta ~page 128

Don't let the word "jalapeno" in the title scare you from making this. Even my 4 year old Lillian ate 3 plates of it. The 2 year old did turn her nose up at it, but I have learned not to take it personally since she does that at 50% of her foods these days. (I think she went to bed without dinner this night!)
Here is a picture of the size I cut my chicken pieces into, along with one of my favorite kitchen gadgets...the poultry scissors. (Mom, is that in the gadget section yet?) If you are looking for something to put on your birthday wish list, add these scissors to the list. These were $20 from Bed Bath & Beyond, and are so much safer than a knife especially on half frozen chicken!

In case you are wondering what the recipe means when it says one bunch of cilantro with stems removed...I tear off the bottom 3 inches and put the rest into the food processor.



Here is the green salsa that I use...look around because there are MANY different brands ranging in price.



In case you are like me who didn't know what a poblano pepper looked like until I first made this recipe...here it is.





After you boil it the stem literally falls off. Take a little nibble of the pepper before you put it all in. Some poblanos can be pretty spicy. Sometimes I just add 1/2 or 3/4 of it in the recipe so my kiddos can eat it.



I don't pre-chop much in this recipe, here is how chunky I leave everything....I let the food processor do all the work for me. And here is the final sauce! Don't simmer it too much or the pretty green sauce will turn murky and not very attractive. I toss my cooked pasta right in with the chicken and sauce so all the pasta is coated. Sorry there were so many pictures on this post, can you tell my kids were not
around to hang on me? Adam had taken them to the park down the street while I was cooking dinner..resulting in me having too much time on my hands to take too many pictures as I was cooking!


1 comment:

Dacia said...

the jalapeno did scare me a little, so i'm glad you said that...but if lillian can eat it, then we should be fine too. :-)
i love the days that taylor takes the girls to the park during dinner prep time. i love cooking without someone hanging on me. those are the days when all the dishes are done before dinner is on the table and it's so so nice.