Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Penne Pasta with Roasted Veggies ~ page 100

One of my favorite recipes in this book so far! Although the first time I made it Taylor complained it was "too dry and lacked flavor". Then he refused to eat the leftovers (very unusual for this leftover lover). Boo on him. I thought it was great! Determined for this to make it in the "permanent rotation" of meals on our regular dinner list, I tried again and did not let him know it was the same recipe. This time I went heavy on the balsamic vinegar and olive oil, added some oregano, garlic salt, mozzarella cheese and fresh parmesan cheese. I know, messed with the recipe a lot (forgive me Carissa-if it's any consolation, I liked it just the way you had it written) :-)
I'm pleased to announce that this time it was a HIT! It wasn't until after he scarfed it down and went back for seconds, that I reminded him of his disdain for it the first go 'round. (I know, I'm such a sneaky wife!) He was delighted in the meal this time and begged for me to make it again! I thought it was just as yummy as the first time!

Oh, and I used the remainder of the grilled chicken I had marinated in the homemade dressing from the Avacado, Cranberry and Pecan Salad and added it to this dish as well. The balsamic marinade complimented the pasta very well.

1 comment:

Carissa said...

Adam would probably like it more like Taylor's version. I think the original recipe did have more oil in it, but I was trying to make it healthier. I actually play around with the recipe every time I make it..changing this and that. It seems very forgiving. Glad it was a hit! I got the recipe from an Indian friend that grew up in India. I think it was passed down from her mom. Originally it was mostly eggplant, but that was a bit too much eggplant for Adam, so I altered it adding more veggies. Just a tidbit on the history of the recipe! :)