Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

New Idea for Vanilla Custard Pudding ~ page 264

My granddaughter, Lillian, was at my house this week, so I decided to make Vanilla Custard Pudding again, partly because Lillian loves to stir, and this pudding takes LOTS of stirring, but also because I had an idea I wanted to try. I have been bothered by the large amount of flour clumps in my cooked pudding that I have to strain out...here is my old picture from the first posting once again:
My theory was that the undissolved flour possibly makes the finished pudding less "stiff." Even though it is no trouble to strain the lumps out, I still don't like the idea of so much unused flour. I recall that when I make other sauces and gravies, I sometimes shake the flour with a small amount of liquid to dissolve it before cooking.
So instead of putting my 1/3 cup flour in the pot and adding the milk, as the recipe says...I put it in a covered container then added about 1/2 cup or so of my measured amount of 4 cups of milk.
I put the lid on and shook the container vigorously and the flour quickly dissolved. Then I poured this into my pot with all the rest of the ingredients to cook, following the recipe from here on. I hardly had to whisk at all to blend things together. Lillian and I took turns stirring (while relaxing, of course...). When the custard thickened, I strained it to see the difference; there was hardly a thing in the strainer...maybe a little bit of undissolved egg white is all. So clearly this is the best way to make creamy vanilla custard!

One last thought...I notice every time I make this, that there comes a point when I decide I am tired of stirring and this is not relaxing or fun any more--that I have other things I need to go do--and every time, just at that point, the custard comes to a boil and thickens and it is all over! So don't get discouraged at all the stirring; there is an end to it just when you have had enough!

No comments: