Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Boneless Chili Short Ribs ~ page 155

I understand it is easy to get scared off from this recipe when you see it calls for 1/3 cup chili powder, and 2 tablespoons cayenne powder. But I promise you, it is not too spicy! Something must happen to all that spice when the meat is slow simmered in the wine and broth. I have served this to my mother (who can't tolerate "heat") and she did not think it too hot. All that said, when I fixed this today, I was way short on the cayenne powder, so I made it with only 1/2 teaspoon, rather than 2 tablespoons! It was still very tasty, but I did miss the nice little kick it has with the full amount.
This time I used boneless short ribs, like the recipe calls for--though I just as often use brisket or roast cut up in strips.
Trim up excess fat from the meat before you cut it into large hunks.
Here is my spice rub...and I buy these small bottles of red wine to use for cooking. (I have a hard time getting the wine because I live in a dry county...so I get these for cooking when I go to Houston to see my kids. I know many recipes say to use really nice wines when you cook...but not being much of a wine connoisseur, I just get what is cheapest!
I mix the rub right on a tray.
And roll the meat around in it untill all sides are coated.
It is very important not to crowd the meat while it is browning, or it will steam, and you don't want that.
I have to warn you that browning these spices make your house really smell peppery! 
The wine deglazes the pan like magic. 
Put the browned meat, the wine and broth, and the half onions in a pan for the oven, or in your crockpot, if you prefer. I do it both ways, just depending on what my meals timing is that day. 
This is the finished chili short ribs. Let me tell you....this is one fine meal. Oh my goodness, this is SO good.

No comments: