Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Nutrition Info

I have an idea! I'm really excited about it and I hope you're equally as excited, but if not, it won't hurt my feelings.

Leave it to the one with the degree in marketing to think about how to better "sell" your cookbook...when really it truly doesn't lack anything because it does sell itself! I believe it has the potential to be a huge hit!

However, I had the thought this morning that if there were nutrition information included for each recipe, it could really have the potential to be a key selling point for the cookbook. People want recipes they're going to cook every day that don't taste so ordinary--well, this cookbook already has that. Fast, easy, yet healthy, hearty and just enough of the unusual tastes to test our normal cooking boundaries and cause us to step outside our comfort zones in the kitchen. But a lot of people also want the nutritional information without the hassle of calculating it all up. Since your recipes are already on the healthier side, it would be nice to utilize that as a selling point.

Now, it would be a daunting task for one person to calculate the nutrition facts for all the recipes, but with so many of us making the recipes at home, if we take the time to calculate the ones we make and post it with our pictures, it could be done in no time. Plus, I'm also not opposed to the idea of single-handedly taking on the task.

We could just include calories per serving or calories for the entire dish (which would be fairly simple and easy)...or include, calories, fat grams and protein (the main important ones).

What do you think? Is it doable or is it way too much work?

3 comments:

Janice Johnson said...

Wow, Dacia! Do you know how to do that? I admit I am clueless without some research into it anyway. Maybe Carissa has some ideas how that is done...not sure. But I would love to give you the job if you want it! I know when I buy any packaged food, I always look at the nutritional info. And it has stopped me from making a few interesting recipes I find here and there too! I have my mental limits on how far I will go with fat and calories! I think it would have to be figured per serving for it to make sense to most of us. We tried to put servings on each recipe, so that should not be too hard to divide out. I love the idea!

Carissa said...

That sounds like something Adam would be good at...lots of math and fractions! I wonder if there is a computer program that could do that for you...there has to be something on the internet that can figure all that out. I might search around and see what I can find. I love the idea though Dacia!

Dacia said...

i usually just calculate each ingredient individually and then divide by the number of servings. since most of the servings are on the recipes, that would help!

there are tons of websites for calculating the calories, though, like calorieking.com...you can search any and every kind of food and serving amount. but carissa, i bet you're right about a computer program or something to do it for ya. let's look into it. i calculated the nutrition for the crispy baked chicken i made last nigth (p. 140 i think), but i forgot to take a pic, so i didn't post it. sorry.. :-)