Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Vanilla Custard Pudding ~ page 264

I find the slow process of making this pudding to be relaxing. It is not hard, but it is slow. So I always plan just the right time to make it. There is a good 20 minutes or more of stirring to be done. But only the last 5 to 10 minutes or so need to be constant. So I start the pudding while I am unloading the dishwasher, cutting up veggies for supper, or something like that that lets me step over to the stove and give a quick stir every minute or so.
When you seperate your eggs (you will only use the yolks), put the whites in a container and mark the number in it, and freeze the whites. I save these up to make angel food cake, which takes 12 whites. So I am sure an angel food cake is in my near future!
A spring whisk is perfect for stirring/whisking the flour into the milk. When the custard starts thickening (that is when you start stirring constantly), change to a spatula that will allow you to scrape the bottom of the pan. 
This is the point I grab a stool, and sit down with a magazine at the stove and let one hand keep stirring while I read. This is when you relax.
No matter how good I stir, it seems I always get a few bits of flour that need to be strained out of the hot custard. But this is easy to do.
It is a MUST to put plastic wrap right on top the custard to keep a film from forming. Now put it in the fridge.

To make banana pudding, put your cookies and bananas in a bowl (single serving or a large bowl), then just add your cold custard. Cover it and put back in the fridge for an hour or so. 
One way I like to eat this custard, is mixed with plain yogurt. It is even good for breakfast that way!

1 comment:

Dacia said...

mmmm. banana pudding is one of my favorites! i've never thought of reading a magazine while stirring! that's so smart...i'll have to try it.