Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Baked Salmon for Two ~ page 177

I brought home (to Tyler) some beautiful salmon fillets from Costco in Houston, and was anxious to fix some of the salmon dishes Carissa has in the cookbook. She cooks a lot of salmon, but I have not done as much for two reasons: it seems harder to find really nice salmon at my local grocery store (which is Walmart), plus, David is not a very big fish eater in general. And as I suspected, his face fell when I told him I was fixing salmon for dinner. But then he ate it, and decided it was actually quite nice after all! (I thought it was fabulous!)

After marinating my salmon for an hour in the fridge, I transferred to a piece of parchment paper and rolled the edges together, then placed the packet inside aluminum foil, and put the whole thing on a baking sheet. It cooked quickly and perfectly with no mess at all. I love that this is a tasty, low fat, healthy dish.
I served the salmon with a new quinoa recipe I have been working on. Quinoa is a grain that Julia introduced me to at her house. When I get my recipe perfected, I will post it on New Recipes. This grain can be used like rice. It is nutty tasting and full of fiber (my favorite thing!).
Note ~ I added David's favorite frozen corn to the meal so I wouldn't weird him out too much with the salmon and the strange new quinoa recipe!

No comments: