Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Monday, April 5, 2010

Mini Hawaiian Banana Bread Loaves ~ page 320

I had a bunch of bananas that needed to be used up so I turned to my favorite banana bread recipe. The problem was that I didn't have any canned pineapple...so I decided to do an experiment and use applesauce instead.Here is a picture of the amount of "ripeness" I like in a banana. Some people like their bananas really brown, I just like it nicely spotted. Also in this picture below you can see what I do with my bananas, I mash 3 with a fork, then the 4th I dice up. This is something new that I just started doing, it gives you a burst of banana flavor I think. If you do this dice it small though, you don't want it too chunky.


I needed some muffins for the freezer since that is usually what I send out the door with Adam for breakfast most mornings. This recipe made 3 little loaves, and 12 regular sized muffins.
So, you are probably wondering, what the verdict was on the applesauce substitution....well, they were really good! I still think I prefer the tang that the pineapple gives, but in a pinch applesauce is a great option. Give it a try, and let us know what you think! -Carissa





No comments: