Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Granny's Texas Sheet Cake ~ page 235

I used this recipe for a birthday cake for my sister in law. Since it was a birthday cake I thought it needed to be thick and decadent looking, not thinner like when you make it in a sheet pan like the recipe calls for. So I used my large casserole dish that is 11x15. It was just the thickness I was looking for. I don't think I would recommend using a 9x13 pan, I think it would overflow and not cook evenly. Since my pan was a little smaller than what the recipe called for, I had to cook it an extra 6-7 minutes to make sure the middle was cooked through.
I didn't have enough chocolate chips to make 8 oz., so I dug in my pantry and was delighted to find 4 Hersey's Kiss candies from Valentine's Day! I quickly unwrapped the pink foil from them but was sad to see I was still off a touch on my total weight. So after more digging in the pantry I found some chocolate bars leftover from our Christmas stockings at Adam's grandmother's house ....(thanks Granny, you saved the day...I mean the cake! ) So with my assortment of chocolates, I proceeded.....but as you know nothing ever goes as planned when little kiddos are involved. I turned the burner on to melt my chocolate and then wouldn't you know my 2 year old started yelling from the bathroom that she needed help going potty! Thinking to myself that I would be back in 30 seconds, I left the burner on. Well, 10 minutes later, my smoke detector was going off! (the toddler bathroom trip had taken a bit longer than I had planned! )
Well, the most expensive ingredients in this recipe were in that pan. I wasn't about to start over digging for more leftover holiday candy in the pantry. So, I said a quick prayer over the scorched chocolate and continued with the recipe.
I bet you are wondering what the end result was......it was very yummy! No one could tell I had burnt chocolate in there! :) In fact it was really quite delicious! The whole family gobbled it down.
Here is what the pan looked like after being scrapped!


I am not a great cake maker...if you know me, I do cookies. So if I can make this cake and have it turn out as mouthwatering as it did, then you can too! :) Don't skip the icing...it is the best part! --Carissa

3 comments:

Carissa said...

The only correction in this recipe is that the first set of directions tells you to combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl. That should say...combine the first 5 dry ingredients in a bowl. There is some dry cocoa listed at the end of the ingredient list, that does not go in with the dry stuff. Sorry for that typo.

Janice Johnson said...

In addition to how chocolatey and wonderful this cake is, I have always loved the simplicity of mixing it in a bowl with a spoon. Now, I adore fancy kitchen gadgets and appliances, but sometimes it is comforting to do things just like my Granny did it--by hand.

Carissa didn't use the pecans in her icing, which is actually one of my favorite parts, although I guess it would have made the top of the cake kind of lumpy for Julia's name!

Janice Johnson said...

From my Aunt Letty: I’m with you Janice. My family would cast a questioned look at me if the pecans were not in the icing…doubled. I think what makes this cake the best is the cinnamon and I tend to heap up my measuring spoon. We have so many who regulars at our b’days that I make 2 sheets and stack them…it’s very heavy and feeds 20 with leftovers…then there are those who leave with an extra piece to take home. Good Cake!!! Letty