Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies ~ page 208

I gave up desserts for a couple months...but now I am back and happy to be into cookie baking again! I wanted to make some cookies to take to David's and my mothers, and knowing they would leave the cookies sitting out as they ate on them (I always keep mine frozen and pull them out as needed, so they stay really fresh), I knew this is the best recipe for cookies that are going to be in a cookie jar (or baggie) for a few days.
This is what keeps these cookies moist: the raisins soak in the beaten eggs for an hour before you make the batter. So you do have to plan ahead a little for this recipe. While I was waiting, I assembled all my ingredients...
I like to measure out everything into cups on a tray, then I am sure I don't forget anything. This is especially nice if you get interrupted with a phone call, visitor, or your kiddos. This recipe uses all shortening, which it turned out I didn't have enough on hand, so I substituted half butter. I also was short on the oatmeal a bit, so I put in some bran and wheat germ to make up the difference. I did notice that the cookies were flatter with the butter than they are with all shortening. But it didn't make that much difference overall. Also, the recipe calls for baking these for 10 to 12 minutes, but my oven seems to cook hotter than most, so I found that 8 to 9 minutes worked better for me. This is a good cookie for kids lunch boxes or an after school snack.

No comments: