Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Tasty Italian Chicken ~ page 137

So, for dinner last night I stood in front of my opened fridge staring for quite a while trying to think of something I could make out of not much. I'm due for a grocery trip today! Then I flipped through the What We Cook cookbook and came across this recipe of my mom's that I had actually never made. It is one of those recipes that is great to make when you don't have much to work with in your fridge. I was pleasantly surprised at the very nice flavors that it had. I had chicken breasts in the freezer, so I thawed them and cut them up in place of the tenders. I'm glad I weighed my meat instead of guessing. 1 1/2 pounds is only 3 breasts, not 4 like I had thought.

I noticed that my Italian Seasoning expired in 2003! Oops! So I threw it away and opted for some Herbes De Provence which is just rosemary, marjoram, thyme, and savory. (sorry for the blurry pic)






After tossing it in a baggie with the coating, they cooked up very nicely, and if you brown them in two batches like the recipe says, they get surprisingly crispy with the coating on the outside! (I did double the parm cheese for the coating because...well, why not? ... more cheese is always a good thing right?)


Now the one change I did is that I decided to toss my pasta in some of the sauce before plating it so that all the pasta had sauce. Well, this isn't a real saucy recipe, so I was so sad to look into my sauce pot and see that I didn't have much left to pour over the top of the chicken. So, as fast as I could I whipped up another batch of sauce knowing that my hubby loves sauce. I left out the onions on the second go round because of time. Now I had plenty to spoon on top. The next time I make this I will just double the sauce from the start. You may not need to do this, I just know my husband well enough to know he needs this. It isn't much figuring to double...just add more chicken broth, tomato paste and Italian Seasoning.

 The result was very good....actually surprisingly good. The ingredients are so simple I wasn't expecting such great flavor in the end. I sprinkled Parmesan cheese on top also. My kids and husband both basically licked their plates...in my book that is better then 2 thumbs up. Give it a try! --Carissa






2 comments:

Carissa said...

I forgot to mention that I think there needs to be a correction on the serving size. It says 6, and it really needs to be 4.

Carissa said...

Someone just pointed out to us that there is a little typo in this recipe. it calls for chicken broth in the list, but in the directions it mentions water and boullion. In the directions it should say broth instead of the seperate water and boullion. Sorry about that.