Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Blueberry Crisp ~ page 249

Every summer I go to a farm to pick blueberries and then put several bags of them in my freezer. Then every spring, I think, "Oh my goodness, I must finish up these frozen blueberries so I can pick some more soon!" So I need to hit the blueberry recipes hard in the next month. When I am cooking with berries, I prefer to use frozen ones, because the fresh ones are so good just like they are.
I turned to this crisp recipe and had this in the oven in 10 minutes flat--and I spent two of those minutes digging in the freezer to find a bag of blueberries! I did add a small handful of blackberries I picked the other day in the woods near my home. The topping (the "crisp" part) makes up fast in the food processor. I used regular oats, even though the recipe calls for quick oats--it doesn't seem to matter.
I made this in my stoneware pie plate, not because it is a pretty dish, but because it cleans up so easily. If I were making this for company, however, I would use a more attractive dish! One thing I like about this blueberry crisp, is that it is not too sweet. You will notice in the recipe that the only sugar is in the topping. So that makes you not feel guilty about adding ice cream to your warm crisp!

Recipe Correction: Oops, we forgot the temperature on this one. It should be 350 degrees. Also, the serving size says 4 to 6 servings...might as well just make that 4 servings; you're going to eat too much to make it last for 6 servings!

No comments: