Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Peanut Butter Bars ~ page 258

I had a peanut butter craving the other night and these hit the spot! How do you look at that picture and not want to make it tonight ???
It has three layers...below is layer one...
Here is layer two... (it was quite tricky to take a picture with the left hand, while pouring with the right hand!)

And for the 3rd layer...

To make them a little more fancy I drizzled melted chocolate bark over the top.
It comes in little ice cube looking trays usually. It hardens fast and is easy to work with.





After it is melted in a microwave dish, I scrape it into a freezer baggie...(the cheap thin storage bags will melt...believe me I have done it!) For hands free scraping, just set the bag inside a drinking glass and fold the top of the bag over the sides of the cup. Works like a charm. Then cut a hole in the corner and drizzle away to your hearts desire!
Yes, I did steal a piece from the corner...I just couldn't wait!

Here is the finished product...Because they were so yummy, I was eating way too many even for a pregnant lady! So, I had to hide them....I have a nice stash in the freezer now! ---Carissa

3 comments:

Janice Johnson said...

I feel like I need to run to the kitchen and make these right now. The drizzle on top really does put them over the top.

Janice Johnson said...

From Lorrie, (who is not posting in the right place, so I did it for her...:)

"You two are going to do me in!
Now this has to go on my list as well.....
let me see....I believe I have everything I need right now!" ~Lorrie

Dacia said...

i've made these twice and got rave reviews both times! i loved them! the chocolate on top is the best part...the first time, i forgot to do it and was so mad at myself when i made it to the dinner party with a less than fancy looking dish, but it was still devoured!

also, carissa...i love that trick you taught me with putting the ziplock bags in a cup to pour the chocolate in. brilliant! i've taught it to several people. but most recently, i read somewhere that you can actually microwave the chocolate in the ziplock bag (the heavier freezer ones like you mentioned) and since i'm lying to myself about the danger of heating plastic in the microwave to make my life easier, that's what i'm doing now. i didn't believe it would work. :-)